Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Internet Dating Scamtastic!




Hide your hearts Women, and some men too from the likes of Mark Kerr Smith, or the likeness of such a fictitious character. WOW is what I said when he came up as a match on Chemistry.com. We quickly exchanged emails to get off the hoop jumping on the site which is designed to protect you. Shallow me, I was struck by his age and his status: widowed with a teen-age son. Raised in NJ and traveling abroad for his work as a Chemical/Petroleum Egr and Oil Commodities man. Not the noblest of careers a robber baron of sorts but I over looked it when he told me his story, which didn't sound like the same person who had written his profile about seeking his true love after his loss complete with a poem entitled: 'Soaring' which he must have ripped off like the pictures of this handsome blonde man, the third picture which I did not capture was him sitting on a front porch of a house in the woods, barefoot, relaxed, laid back.

Here is his communication cut and pasted from MarkKerrSmith@yahoo.com Hello Jaye,

How's your day going?it's really nice to read from you....Yes,you are right,my middle and last name is Kerr Smith respectively,you have a such a nice last name....thanks for the comment on my pics,i have a British bulldog...he's name is Ratty....... i would love to briefly tell you about my background...I was born In Sweden, Lived all of my life in the United states, Alpine,NJ which includes growing up and schooling. I lost my parents when i was 8 yrs old in an auto crash and i was brought up by my uncle, he was divorced so we relocated to the United states.... I travel a lot due to my type of work, mostly to Oil Countries.. i work on contract overseas at times but this as been to the fact that i am widowed and with a child, his name is Paul and he his all i got to care about or look after or be responsible for though i have been busy with work as that as been part of my life..Paul is 15yrs old.
I really would love to meet you and know more about you. Please take time to write me back and tell me all about you.. Well as for me I lost My wife, 12 yrs ago to Cancer of the womb and ever since then I have been single and more addictive to my work. Well i have all i need but something missing, which is what am looking for now..A good woman as my companion...... asides my work i love to play Golf, Polo and Tennis.. I am a member of Polo Club in London and France and in the United States also love to swim and i like reading and working on my theories.. I am looking for the right woman to call my wife.......i hope to hear back from you soon........ Nice meeting you.. May the Blessing of the Lord be upon you and your house hold .... Amen
Yours Sincerely
Mark Smith


I should have had a clue when he closed with the blessings of the lord bit and I couldn't find any internet presence for him via Polo Clubs and the language/grammar. I thought maybe he still speaks Swedish and the education in the US didn't help him out. I also asked for a phone number and didn't call it because it was overseas. I gave him mine and we started chatting on yahoo regularly. He said he was about to leave London for Nigeria and I joked with him that he was off to the land of internet scammers and pirates off the coast of Somalia. He told me not to worry...
We chatted at strange hours and exchanged communications of what we were looking for in a partner, commitment, trust, etcetera and then when he got to 'Nigeria' he was concerned that he couldn't cash his check for his oil shipment work for 950K and might need to ask me for help. Up go the red flags wanting to trust that this man is who he says he is but he is an idiot for thinking that an artist in NYC is going to be able to wire him some money until he gets back to the United States and how inappropriate when we haven't even laid eyes on one another. I asked him his birthday and he told me he was talking to Paul about me and all sorts of BS and I accused him of not being who he said he was and wrote him an apology over night and when we chatted the next morning I said that he should put it in writing what he wanted me to do to help him and that I would check it out with the State Dept to see if it would be legal for me, you can also check out to see if someone is actually registered at the consulate and there is a hotline to see if someone you are concerned about is actually in distress...
BEWARE! I googled his email address his names Nigeria and scam and up popped a couple of similar stories and another from Chemistry dated just prior to mine with the pic of the beautiful blond man on Delphi faq's



I also found him via these two phone numbers this mystery person used.
I told him I was smart and resourceful and removed him from my yahoo chat on my computer and before I took him off my phone chat I told him I had found him out and it would be the last time we would chat. If someone doesn't answer your questions and comes on really strong emotionally from a distance heads up. Glad I didn't have any money to send him. There is no way I would any how, I told him that he should contact 'Paul's' grandparents or someone he knew better.

1 comment:

Aaliyah said...

Damn, that is a hot mess. Glad you have a good head on your shoulders. If not I just might have seen you on Dateline, lol.